BF2042 Wrong GPU picked in dual GPU rig

by ThatGuyJacobee

Original Post

Re: BF2042 Wrong GPU picked in dual GPU rig

★★★ Newbie

I have the same problem. Tried everything. I have a laptop with an integrated GPU. Disabling the integrated GPU means that my HDMI port won't work properly, as the integrated GPU is responsible for it. Basically, I have two options - play on a 15.6-inch laptop display, or not play at all. So far I just refunded a game, as it's not playable at all. 

Just a comment, I can play all other AAA games on my laptop without any issues (RTX 3050). It's definitely a game configuration issue, and somehow for EA, it's so hard to add a setting to change the preferred GPU or auto-detect the most powerful one. As for me - it's definitely a no for the game. I will check this thread in next few months, but I really don't have any hope at all. It feels like it's easier to launch a 15-year-old game using an emulator then to make this playable.

Message 71 of 75 (455 Views)

Re: Windows 11, Game Selects Wrong GPU, Can't Device/Resolution/etc.

★★★ Guide

Same here. Have built in GPU in my CPU and a PCI-E graphic card. The other day my screen went black during BF2042 gameplay. Restarted my PC and tried to launch the game again. Same happen.

When i look into my devices i see that my PCI-E is disabled and my buildt in GPU is selected as head source...wtf DICE?

Message 72 of 75 (428 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I´ve got it!

First, i´m not a technician in the computer sci. and the solutions worked for ME. 

My setup is a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 notebook, Ryzen 7 5800H with integrated GPU, 24GB ram, dedicated GTX 1650 4gb.

In my understanding this game was poorly built and just recently it became a decent playable game.

It is set to use the MAIN gpu if it CAN HANDLE the game. In notebooks (my case) is the integrated GPU, In desktops is the Processor´s integrated GPU if the hardware has it, if not.. is the GPU in the SLOT 1 ( in case you have more than 1 in your rig).

That been said, here is the fix i found for my scenario.

In the bios I choosen to set the UMA buffer from 4G to 1G. The game will interpret that the integrated GPU can´t handle the game and will chose the next best thing in your rig. In my case thas the GTX 1650 dedicated GPU.

When i fired up the game, it lauched as it should. Took me 14 days to find this solution kk I hope it help you! See you in the battlefield.

Message 73 of 75 (288 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I can confirm the solution!

My Setup is a  Lenovo ideapad Gaming 3-15ACH6, Ryzen 7 5600H, 32GB Ram, RTX 3050.

Thank you very much @T-Orcy for finding this solution, I almost sold my notebook because of this bug...

Message 74 of 75 (269 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

July 2024 and this is still, somehow, a problem. I have literally never had a video game be unable to figure out the correct GPU until trying to play 2042.

I have dual GPUs in my rig (2070S and a 3060), with the 3060 being used only for AI generation due to the higher VRAM. All gaming and monitors are on the 2070S.

Launch BF2042, and the game is in a tiny window. Graphics settings don't change anything. Look at Task Manager and sure enough, for whatever absurd reason, the game is running on the 3060.

Check the nVidia control panel, force BF2042 to use only the 2070S. Launch game; it ignores this setting and runs on the 3060.

Check the Windows 11 "game mode". Again, change the setting for "default graphics card" to the 2070S. Launch game; it ignores this setting as well and still runs on the 3060.

No other game I have ever played on this system does this. Literally just Battlefield. How is it that indie games can figure out how dual GPU works, but EA, after three years of patches can't?

Edit:

Only solution I have found is to shut down all my programs using my 3060, disable it in Device Manager, launch the game, then re-enable the 3060. Insane that this has to be done.

Message 75 of 75 (100 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help