Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

computer licence security number

Is this a scam? had a phone call regarding the computer licence security number saying it has been compromised?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 3, 2024 5:37 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2024 5:49 AM in response to arasmas

Phone call from who?

Was your first question “Where did you get my phone number? Don’t call me ever again.”

I’ve seen this reported in forums over at least the last 12 years. It is a scam.

I’m pretty sure that there is no such a thing as a “computer license security number”.

Specific software may have a license, but no security number that can be compromised.

Jul 3, 2024 7:22 AM in response to arasmas

arasmas wrote:

Said the call was from Apple, thanks for your advice.

I don't see where you said the call was from Apple. And, the call was not from Apple. The call was from a scammer. Do not interact with scam callers. Do not have discussions with scam callers. Do not provide any personal or financial information to scam callers.

I never answer such a call. If the caller leaves a message I read the message. In this case the message would indicate that the call was 100% a scam call. If I, for any reason, thought the call may be real I would not call back the calling number or the number left in the message. I would call a known valid number. In the situation you are describing, you could have called Apple's published support number and asked if Apple called you. (I'm 100% certain they did not call you.)

computer licence security number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.