Madden 24 Passing Is NOT Fun

by Marmatag

Original Post

Madden 24 Passing Is NOT Fun

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Let me preface this by saying that I play simulation style. So I'm looking to use the stock playbook and I don't construct unbeatable route concepts. I see people say things like "put your running back(s) on a streak," and that's just the antithesis of how I think sports sim should be played. My expectation is that I should be able to use the stock playbooks with minimal adjustments here and there (as would make sense) and still have a playable game. 

I think we all accept that inaccurate passing exists in the NFL. It makes sense for low-percentage plays to be low-percentage plays. It does NOT make sense for high percentage plays to be low percentage plays. Madden 24 punishes your accuracy far too frequently, and in the wrong ways. If a QB has a clean pocket, he should be able to deliver an accurate pass generally in some scenarios, and not generally in others. Madden treats these all as the same, and applies highly punitive accuracy penalties when there shouldn't be any. 

For example, if my WR runs a 5 yard out, and he is open, and I have a clean pocket, this should be an accurate throw the vast majority of the time. These throws are often inaccurate. Without using the joystick to attempt any kind of precision, I would expect an accurate throw, coming from a clean pocket. This is not the case. High percentage plays should be accurate. An example of such a play would be the I-Form Close Double Outs play. 

On the next step, it does feel like the further down the field you go, the less accurate passing becomes, which in general sounds fine, but it isn't entirely correct. For example, consider the play I-Form Close PA Deep Read. It's in quite a few playbooks. These WRs actually physically stop and if you throw at their break it is timed nicely, and a solid concept. There are plenty of defenses that defend this. I have no objection to that. I do object when my WR runs this route, and the timing is beautiful, yet the throw comes out 5 yards to the left or right. There is no earthly reason for this level of inaccuracy. This specific type of route is not a low percentage in regards to accuracy. However, because it is technically not a short route, it is met with the typical accuracy penalties that apply to deeper routes. 

I would encourage you to run these plays and observe how your QB behaves from a clean pocket. You will see in game that your throws will be inaccurate for no apparent reason. This is mirrored across a lot of plays regardless of formation. Where we should see accuracy penalties are on the low-percentage, deep passes, where a QB is throwing 20+ air yards to a target running outside or down the sideline. These throws are notoriously challenging in the NFL, and missing a little deep or a little left or right is acceptable here because of the high degree of precision required. There is no reason for these plays to receive the same penalties that the other plays I mentioned do, but here we are. 

Ultimately I would expect that a QB with a clean pocket should be able to deliver an accurate ball. That doesn't mean the ball can't be defended, or miss because the route timing was disrupted and the ball was thrown with anticipation as it should be. But this isn't the case and it's infuriating. 

The Defensive Backs in this game are incredibly obnoxious with their route jumping ability and their knockout ability. Their range for interceptions is monstrous, and they attack the ball relentlessly. The biggest issue I can see is that they don't really pay a cost for changing direction, or a penalty when reacting to a pass. I'm sure EA has plenty of data about this, but, when games have 5-6 INTs on each side of the ball, something is very very wrong. I see more interceptions - both from the CPU, and from my DBs - than I do sacks from my defensive line.

I accept that there will be plays where no one is open because every single WR loses on his route. My problem here is that WRs do win on their routes, but due to inaccuracy and frankly CPU DB supermen making insane catch-up speed plays and intercept the ball or knock it out. There is a difference between throwing a contested pass and throwing a pass to an open WR, only for the defense to suddenly have unrealistic response and intercept the pass. I defy anyone to try and throw a curl route of any kind. Against man coverage, they will jump it. Against zone coverage, they will jump it. And suddenly a route that has a realistic chance is a low percentage play.

I will accept that passing in m24 is a low percentage game, and that a sub-50% completion percentage is intended, but if that's the case, and the CPU defense is going to behave this way, I would expect that my defense also behave that way. Additionally, if DBs are going to make ridiculous super human plays to disrupt passing, the interception rate should be lower, as open doesn't mean open. Which is really the crux of this. Open doesn't mean open. A WR runs to a soft spot in the zone and stops, with timing this is a high percentage play. But the defense reaction speed is insane and these plays that should be easy are interceptions at a very high rate. 

I'm aware that you can go to YouTube and find a way to use the Jets playbook to exploit the fact that Verticals is a joke and can score way more often than it should, or putting "this guy on a streak, that guy on a comeback, and you're guaranteed the corner route." I'm aware that run blocking is very good, and that mixing passing and running is the best way to create passing opportunities. I'm aware of this. I play simulation and my pass/run is generally very good and balanced. 

I would strongly recommend EA publish recommended simulation sliders for 10, 12, and 15 minute quarters. Or, have the difficulty automatically adjust based on overall game length. The volume of interceptions is perfectly valid for 5 minute quarters with a runoff to 25 seconds. It's not valid for 10+ minute quarters, as an example.  I would also strongly recommend you classify routes - not plays - for accuracy penalties, coverage adjustments, etc. Take the time to categorize things appropriately. Low percentage plays should be low percentage, but high percentage plays must be exactly that, or it's wildly immersion breaking. 

Message 1 of 17 (17,507 Views)

Re: Madden 24 Passing Is NOT Fun

★★★ Newbie

EA is such a bad company. I’ve been using classic passing since I started playing the game at like 7 years old. I’m 21 now. So after 14 years of using classic passing, I’m all of a sudden forced to use a new passing method because classic passing is so bad? EA is so down bad for content at the moment, they are forcing people to switch how they play the game, so it feels like a newer game, when in reality all they did was make the old ways of playing the game unplayable. 

Message 2 of 17 (17,433 Views)

★★★ Newbie

OMG!!!! TRUE STORY I would love to use the Washington Comanders that team is 100% broken in madden but they are still A PRO FOOTBALL TEAM its like Pro vs Highschool yes they have been bad for years but this on this game is unfair to the fans the players and owners of that ball club now that D Snyder is gone they should be much better on the game. In fact ea when you play h2h if thats what you like you cant because its not any fun anymore the only teams that are mosly used are KC PHilly well the top 10 teams EA needs to put game masters that play with bad teams so they can see what there game really feels like. I think Iam quiting also.

Message 3 of 17 (17,405 Views)

★★★ Expert

So I'm glad its not me! I feel like the passing is a pain in the butt. Plus I'm tossing way toooo many interceptions

Message 4 of 17 (17,380 Views)

★ Guide
@Marmatag So glad this is not just me, at first i thought maybe im just rusty as i had not played madden in about two months or so. Then i thought maybe its just because its the current gen version as im on pc so we've had the last gen version until this year but niether of those are the issue passing is just too punishing this year even with teams that have elite passing offenses. For example just did a game with the bengals against the browns and threw 4 picks as the only passes i could complete is long balls to Chase and screen plays. Anything else was either picked, swatted or dropped especially when i was pressured even in the slightest and also DB's are way to magnetic at times during coverage even when they should be outmatched and also are able to close in on wide open receivers too fast at times.

As noted the player DB coverage is very inconsistent sometimes i am able to do a pretty good job but other time its like my defense isnt even on the field as despite what plays i call everything is a 20 + yard play. Guessing pass pre play is also fairly useless more times then not and even hurtful it feels like tbh.

The only way to alleviate this issue at least some is to run a lot and only pass sparingly, also turning down the interception slider to 20 helps there be less picks but you still have to deal with unfair accuracy penalty's too often.
Message 5 of 17 (16,855 Views)

★★★ Novice

Its good to see folks having the same issues I have had. 

Ultimately for me it's a vibe thing. The interception volume, the wild inaccuracy, and the general vibe of the game feels off. User defense is either ridiculously easy or flat out impossible. Offense feels like a crap shoot, and there are routes I just don't even bother with as they never work. 

We all want difficulty, and no one wants to go 17-0, that's not a challenge, that's not fun. 

Some of us genuinely want a simulation experience, and play on longer quarters.

I'm hopeful that EA could figure this out. 

Message 6 of 17 (16,784 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Here is one of the bigest problems I see if all you want to play is H2H and use a team with a rookie QB you really have way too much of a hard time if the qb isnt from KC PHILLY and others, but all I can say thats why on H2H all you see is the same teams playing not like football at all might as well change the name from Madden to the Chiefs

Chiefs92
2Eagles91
3Bills90
4Bengals89
5Cowboys88
6Ravens87
7Browns87
8Dolphins86
949ers86
10Chargers85

thats all that can win more times than not. A beginner like myself has to use one of those teams to win a game should not be like work this is suppose tp be fun. I dont want to be forced into playing MUT to use my home team. This should be easy make it so we can update our teams for H2H some kind of was like you do in mut. Has it is now everyone is forced into using a strong team.

Message 7 of 17 (16,221 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah, I’ve been playing since 08. I’ve enjoyed just about every game up to this point, but this year the devs deserve shoved off a cliff. This year the game punishes you for making good play calls and figuring out the defense. If the game has to, it will make you miss 3-4 throws in a row to make sure you lose. This happens even when you are down 21 points already. Sometimes your player will lock on for the tackle, sometimes it doesn’t. Game also decides the worst times for you to sub your players, especially on defense. Chase Young might play 1 of 4 snaps. I haven’t broken my controller since COD Ghosts, every day I get on this game I feel like breaking things. Only game that ever makes me this mad. Thanks madden, your uselessness ruined one of my favorite games. Thanks for buying out the rights to NFL games so nobody can do better than you just like 2K did. 

Message 8 of 17 (13,116 Views)

★ Novice

100% accurate..they make the cpu and gameplay work against you and or cheat to win.no matter how good you are ,current gen is a cake walk but next gen vs the cpu is horrible and unplayable.and what’s sadder is this is only a copy of a former madden that was voted worst if it’s kind smh..it’s not even a new game. EA is trash 

Message 9 of 17 (12,552 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This game just feels like it gets worse with their updates. Like they want you to spend money to buy better players and they code the free players that you update like example Michael Vick. Coded to just throw like garbage.  While new player cards that people pay for are coded within the game to just do better in scenarios when obviously I using free player had better positioning for the play. This game isn't even fun anymore. Ea should just sell their rights and let a company that will actually put thought into it instead of puke and regurgitate and try to nickel and dime us. 

Message 10 of 17 (9,873 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help