Frustrated by inability to hold greens and spin ball in flight

by Mootill2

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Frustrated by inability to hold greens and spin ball in flight

★ Apprentice

I mean, I have the best possible specs on everything, my golfers control on everything is high and yet...

I can not hold a green with anything from a 3W to 6I as I could do on TW08.

I find that I have to hit just short of the green most of the time, either fairway or fringe, and hope for a favorable bounce.

I also can not spin the ball in the air, despite the "fix" for this implemented on the keyboard.

Yes, I play with the keyboard as I don't have a controller.  I prefer the 3-click swing.  But, no matter if I press Q and A together, or separately, then the PG Up grouping of keys, the spin does not

change.

Message 1 of 12 (456 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Frustrated by inability to hold greens and spin ball in flight

★ Guide

It's tricky to get a 3W to stick but high-lofted woods/hybrids will hold so long as you're not hitting downwind or onto a downslope. Same with 5i and 6i. Set your golfer's swing trajectory to 'high' by editing your golfer, and remember to use shot shaping to give the ball as much height as possible (move the cursor up on the ball as far as it goes). The steeper landing angle reduces the amount of bounce and roll you'll get after landing. Use the Drive and Approach shot types as well - Finesse and Knockdown have a lower ball flight and will roll too much with those lower loft clubs.

View in thread

Message 2 of 12 (441 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide

It's tricky to get a 3W to stick but high-lofted woods/hybrids will hold so long as you're not hitting downwind or onto a downslope. Same with 5i and 6i. Set your golfer's swing trajectory to 'high' by editing your golfer, and remember to use shot shaping to give the ball as much height as possible (move the cursor up on the ball as far as it goes). The steeper landing angle reduces the amount of bounce and roll you'll get after landing. Use the Drive and Approach shot types as well - Finesse and Knockdown have a lower ball flight and will roll too much with those lower loft clubs.

Message 2 of 12 (442 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yes, my golfer trajectory is high, and even if I push the club loft all the way up it still runs off, except on a strong (8+ mph) headwind.

Message 3 of 12 (405 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Do you have full skill points on driver or approach? I have full stats on approach so I use full loft finesse on par threes. 

Message 4 of 12 (400 Views)

★★★ Pro

This is where a high gold power approach comes in, and using 4 to 9 hybrids are helping a lot.

Message 5 of 12 (382 Views)

★ Apprentice
@lolwhat1234 Thank you for the tips. I guess my mistake was using the Finesse shot on every approach. Using the Drive and Approach shot types I find that I can hold greens much better.

@Mark_Miwurdz I don't yet have full points on driver or approach, but getting there.
Message 6 of 12 (311 Views)

★ Apprentice

Ok, so - I have figured out how to apply spin mid-flight, so holding greens isn't so "tricky" now.  :-)

Message 7 of 12 (234 Views)

★★★ Newbie

How did you figured out how to apply spin mid-flight?

I'm been starting to play the game much more now and getting into it.

Just don't know how to do that.

Thanks.

Message 8 of 12 (211 Views)

★ Guide

On a PS5 controller, you push/pull the left stick in the direction you want to spin, and you keep tapping X to add as much spin as you want. The more control skill points you have, the more spin you can add. It's a fun thing to do, but it's disabled on Sim and Tour settings and tournaments.

Message 9 of 12 (197 Views)

★★★ Pro

@NWildesie wrote:

On a PS5 controller, you push/pull the left stick in the direction you want to spin, and you keep tapping X to add as much spin as you want. The more control skill points you have, the more spin you can add. It's a fun thing to do, but it's disabled on Sim and Tour settings and tournaments.

I remember using the push/pull but I didn’t realize I needed to tap x to add spin to get smoother landing. I remembered my ball was missing green by a mile when a finesse shot is hit with a 3 iron. The announcers usually say going going gone after the shot.

Message 10 of 12 (144 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help