The official Matchmaking blog post

by Cheese9Man

Original Post

Re: The official Matchmaking blog post

[ Edited ]
★★ Expert

@hayhorHow many of those "concurrent users" are returning Type 3s, that think, "This will be my season to go PRO" until reality, once again, slaps them in the face? Also, I bet a lot are rank/skin farming accounts for selling on places like eBay (which these days, is the TOP thing good Google shows me when I search Apex Legends to find the forums). Or just Smurf accounts.

Message 91 of 264 (2,682 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Kyldenar

"the churn is just going to get worse. Which is a shame because the movement and gunplay is on point..."

I don't often find myself at odds with your opinions, but I've said before and I'll say again, I play this game in spite of its weapon mechanics, not because of them. I think they are almost universally worthless. Assuming that every player has, or will develop over time, reasonable ability to aim, then what you STILL have with this game's weapon sandbox is rock, scissors, paper. Did I just kill that guy because of my awesome gun skills? Nope, I had a zero-recoil mid-range gun and he had an EVA and we were 30 meters apart. The only "fair" gun fight in this game is if the other four squaddies are away somewhere and the two left duking it out have the same gun with the same attachments.*

*place holder for when someone responds with "oh, recon, attachments don't matter."
Message 92 of 264 (2,642 Views)

★★ Expert
@reconzero I had a much longer, more filled out post for you, but the forum seems to have eaten it and I got to get back to work shortly, so I will sum up as, "I would expect a shotgun with shot to lose at 30 meters vs a SMG or battle rifle." And I generally like the guns in Titanfall/Apex because with my real world gun experience, they behave and work like I would expect. Standard smile

@hayhor Well, at least we can agree on the PvE thing. I still think Apex could benefit from something like Frontier Defense (maybe in reverse, instead of defending, attacking), cooperative, 3 or 4 player squads, fighting the Syndicate in Glorious Revolution!

Even get people that play that to still hop into BR every once in a while by allowing materials gathered in BR but not used (which now you gather for everyone which is awesome) to carry into the next of these PvE matches.
Message 93 of 264 (2,628 Views)

★★ Guide

"Any Free to Play Online game that does not consider the below average casual player will eventually die to population issues."

Yet here you are. 

Honestly, you sound mad for not being good at pvp and expecting the games to bend to your will. Be honest with yourself here.

the Day 1 No Lifers

What's your point? You expect to be good at something you spend time on, right? YOU, yes you. Imagine you never got better at your art while spending loads of time on it? That is essentially what you are saying should happen. You wanna walk in and be good, day 1. Imagine someone in the gym for 2 hours per day and his counterpart spending 30 mins and the rest at McDonalds and demanding to look the same/pulling the same amount of dates/compliments. It's absurd to expect that.

The average life expectancy of a human is 20 000 odd days.

The average expectancy to reach pro level in anything is around 10 000 hours for the average human.

1 Hour per day for 10k days means half your life to reach pro level.

Some reach that level a lot sooner, and some don't, should they be punished so you can feel good about yourself? Or should everyone just show up and be "adequate"?

The Try-Hards

I understand the frustration, but what is the point? If you don't try-hard you will stay exactly where you are. At least they are trying to learn gun fights and those who don't and just drop mindlessly - I agree with you. Sorry, but t is to be expected without a team.

The Regular Casual

In any shooter you should know what you are sighing up for. There is no such thing as a "relaxed experience" pvp game. Sweat exists on every level, just the amount that differs. 

So what is it that you actually want? You want an easy time? Put in time. 

SBMM will prob ruin it for you anyway, but the point is it seems you want an easy pvp experience - not gonna happen in any game, in any lifetime, in any way without YOU putting in some work. People want to win just as bad as you so yeah...not an option..

The issue with games these days is that they try to include everyone - even people who never actually like/play pvp shooters. So a population of 2mil isn't enough anymore. instead 5mil is the minimum - just so they can include more players and make more $. You really think this is good for the players? Bring in SBMM to compensate those players and you have a game/mode that is a former shell of itself. It's a joke really. You want basketball players to compensate for cricket players all of a sudden joining their team? NO, just no to all of it. Clown shoes industry atm.

If you want a pve game, let it go and look elsewhere. Apex is not that and it is not Titanfall even if it tried. Not ever gonna happen.

Message 94 of 264 (2,591 Views)

★★ Guide
@reconzero You are correct here. That is why some, including myself don't think that br is good measure for "fair" fps. We have Valorant for that, sort of, but, in terms of weapons and variety it makes things quite boring. Point is, again, what makes a good player is being able to frag with any weapon in spite of what the opponent has in his kit. Fair? No. Skilled when you win with less than your opponent? Absolutely. sbmm breaks this to some extent tho.....so yeah in light of that the better weapon now matters a lot more that it should.
Message 95 of 264 (2,583 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

"It offers the best protection against matchmaking exploits with new players and smurfs..."

Wow, that's some end-game BS.
But if it was true, imagine a game without it.

Message 96 of 264 (2,392 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

Just replying here again to say that the matchmaking is still complete garbage.

Message 97 of 264 (2,000 Views)

★★ Guide

I actually tested this new revolutionary match making system as a solo q. Purposefully didnt get a single kill for two days. Almost 40-50 matches of BR both ranked and pubs. Did some dmg in the fights but stopped shooting (got assist by fault not sure if it counts). Obviously no wins with few accidental top5 (whole lobby landed in one place with 7 teams alive after first ring. Our jumpmaster landed elsewhere so we just went around looting). According to the matchmaking post I shouldve noticed a change after 5-10 matches but I didnt.
Level varied from medium sweat to uber sweat.

There is no such thing as SBMM or its being exploited like there is no tomorrow. Or perhaps the EA SBMM algorithm has evaluated me as a masochist that will keep playing as long as the situation stands. 

Message 98 of 264 (1,973 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Airish85As cited in several of my matchmaking tests over the years, the algorithm treats different account’s differently.

Accounts with certain “data” are flagged. So accounts flagged as “high” don’t get the same forgiveness that other accounts do. I’ve lost 100 (literally 100) games with under 100 damage and early elimination and still had lobbies comprised of mostly diamond players— but this is on my main account where I have hit Masters and what not.

On my other accounts that I intentionally have poor performances on, it only takes between 6-11 games for a lobby to reduce in difficulty (after a win).

Accounts are 100% treated differently. Literally all of my data tests support this.

So your results suggest the game sees you as someone who doesn’t deserve the “lower bucket forgiveness”. And also, some of those unintentional top 5 placements absolutely told the algorithm you were “doing well”, so it’s likely they kept you in a top bucket.

But please don’t think that there isn’t any “skill-based” dimension to the matchmaking. There is. It’s not perfect by many standards but it’s still 1000% working to protect under-average players by keeping high MMR players playing each other the majority of the time (top bucket lobbies).

Message 99 of 264 (1,952 Views)

★★★ Novice

Woah i could not believe thats wat they eating recently no wonder.... hurt is it? oops!

Message 100 of 264 (1,943 Views)