BF2042 Wrong GPU picked in dual GPU rig

by ThatGuyJacobee

Original Post

Re: Windows 11, Game Selects Wrong GPU, Can't Device/Resolution/etc.

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Yeah I'd assume so too as pretty much all games, especially new titles have an option to toggle which gpu to use. And more importantly they find and use the display output card... unlike bf which seems to not for some reason.

Message 11 of 75 (2,031 Views)

Re: BF2042 Wrong GPU picked in dual GPU rig

★★★ Newbie
@ThatGuyJacobee I had to disable my second gpu in device manager to get it to work
Message 12 of 75 (2,009 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah that's a temporarily solution to it, disabling it in device manager but that's not feasible and is super annoying as I mine crypto with my other card and render graphical stuff... this issue deffo needs a permanent fix.

Message 13 of 75 (1,974 Views)

Wrong GPU used in multi-gpu system

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

My system has 2 different GPUs - RTX 2080 Ti and GTX 1080 Ti (using them both for GPU-rendering in 3Ds Max)

Every time I launch BF 2042, it tries to run on 1080 Ti instead of 2080 Ti. All monitors plugged into 2080 Ti's DisplayPorts.

Also game launches in a small window and doesn't show monitor or resolution in settings.

This is the only game with such a behaviour.

The only workaround is to disable second GPU, after that everything works as intended. I am running latest NVidia drivers, and tried every possible way to force the game to use 2080 Ti (windows display app settings, nvidia control panel, etc).

Message 14 of 75 (1,578 Views)

Re: Battlefield 2042 using wrong gpu

★★★★★ Novice

Having the Same issues as well with the same work around.

Main GPU - 2080ti 

Additional GPU 2x1080tis - Both do not have a monitor plugged into it

disabling both 1080tis will have Battlefield 2042 launch using the 2080ti

Battlefield 2042 is the only game or application that does this. BF5,BF1,BF4, and BF3 do not have this issue

Message 15 of 75 (1,918 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Confirmed around the office that this a problem

We have 12 workstations with various combinations of GPUs (Most 2080tis or 2080 supers with 1080tis or 1080s). Happens on all of them. It seems BF2042 is set to prefer the slowest/oldest GPU in the system.  It used a GTX970 over a 2080 Super.

Message 16 of 75 (1,914 Views)

BF 2024 LOW GPU USAGE

★★★ Newbie

Hey guys any1 fiured out how ti fox low gpu usage in BF 2024?

I got RTX 2080 Ti ROG and ryzen 53600 , getting like 60-70 fps on 2k and when i put on gpu usage its around 60-70%.

I tryed to turn on DX12 in documents , it helped but the usge is still low.

Any help pls? 

Message 17 of 75 (1,860 Views)

Wrong GPU used in multi-gpu system

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Product: Battlefield 2042
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number RTX 2080 Ti + GTX 1080 Ti (latest drivers, 496.76)
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32
Are you using any software with an overlay? Yes
If yes, can you list them here? Steam overlay draw fps
If you disable this software, does that have any effect? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Game Menu
In which game menu were you when the bug occurred? any
Please select your region Europe
On which server did this happen?
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
Summarize your bug My system has 2 different GPUs - RTX 2080 Ti and GTX 1080 Ti (using them both for GPU-rendering in 3Ds Max) Every time I launch BF 2042, it tries to run on 1080 Ti instead of 2080 Ti. All monitors plugged into 2080 Ti's DisplayPorts. Also game launches in a small window and doesn't show monitor or resolution in settings. This is the only game with such a behaviour. The only workaround is to disable second GPU, after that everything works as intended. I am running latest NVidia drivers, and tried every possible way to force the game to use 2080 Ti (windows display app settings, nvidia control panel, etc).
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Use 2 different GPUs , I guess
What happens when the bug occurs? Game launches in a small window, with no options available to change resolution, monitor, and it utilizes wrong graphics card.
What should be happening instead? game should detect monitor and use the correct GPU

And before anyone asks - YES, I've setted all up in NVidia control panel, windows app settings, etc. Disabling second GPU fixes the problem, but why should I disable GPU every time I want to play ? :D

Message 18 of 75 (1,865 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Same here. 2080 Ti + 1080 Ti = it uses 1080 Ti ...

Message 19 of 75 (1,843 Views)

★ Guide

Sounds like the game is enumerating the GPUs in the system and selecting the last instead of the first (or vice versa), programmatically I'd expect this to be a trivial fix. Could check that the monitor is connected to it or even let the player pick the gpu index in a config file as an override for good measure

Message 20 of 75 (1,839 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help